Tuesday, December 16, 2014

What the COP has given me

Two weeks have never done as much for me as what my time at the COP20 conference has. I have learned more in the past two weeks about scientific disciplines, international affairs, and economics than I could have ever hoped to have learned from two weeks in the classroom.  My entire idea of how the world is run has been irreversibly changed. The way I look at solving problems is different; I understand more clearly the importance of group work and the value of all perspectives. COP20 not only taught me the facts, it taught me a whole host of various ways to address issues, work in a team, and work to make a real visible difference.

Regardless of what the negotiations led to, I view the COP as a success. The fact that 192 countries came together to work with one another on resolving an issue that affects the whole world  is no small feat. The sessions I sat in on and the speeches I heard served to paint a picture of a world committed to change and solutions. No longer is the world as encumbered by the burden of dwelling on the differences between people. The world is ready to work, to get things done, and to forge a more promising future.

No comments:

Post a Comment